- Make copies of all of your important documents and financial records and consult the copies when you need to. Store the originals in a safe onsite or a bank safety deposit box.
- Scan important documents to your computer so that you have an electronic copy. Make sure you back-up your computer to prevent data loss.
- Stay organized. In case of a disaster, you may need to leave your home or office quickly. Knowing exactly where your important documents are will make them easier to grab in a hurry.
- Don’t leave documents (or copies) out in the open. Your identity can be stolen or your credit rating can be ruined with just a few pieces of paper. Store all documents safely in locations where thieves won’t think to look.
- Encrypt important files on your computer. This is especially true if you carry a laptop, as it’s more likely to be lost or stolen. Password protect everything that could hurt you if it got into the wrong hands.